February is American Heart Month and we’ve got a bunch of ways to help bring awareness to the issue of heart disease here at the Fitness Center!
Heart disease is the #1 killer in America, accounting for roughly 23% of all deaths in the US each year. There are a lot of things you can do to take control of your health and heart to prevent having issues in the future.
Luckily, by coming to the gym regularly, eating a well-rounded nutritious diet, and keeping to a healthy weight, you are already doing the right thing for your heart!
Here are some of the ways that you can participate with us this month and do a little extra to take care of yourself in the years ahead!
- Friday, February 1st: National Wear Red Day – Wear red to the fitness center– we will be!
- Join the Cardio Challenge! Anytime you participate in any of our cardio based classes (aqua fitness, cycle, cardio dance/Zumba, or a Cardio Quickie) and log it on our trackers (on the 3rd Floor by group ex and 1st Floor in the hallway to the pool!) The top 3 cardio hours logged will win some great prizes!
- Try a Cardio Quickie Class – New in February! Tuesday, Thursday & Friday from noon-12:30 pm we have some brand new fun Cardio Quickie classes for you! Tuesday is Plyometrics with Christina, Thursday is Boxing Drills with Zach, and Friday is Mixed Bag Cardio Quickie with Rori! These classes begin February 1st and will run all month long! Let us know how you like them and maybe we’ll add them to the schedule!
- Join us for the Hands Only CPR clinic on Wednesday, February 13th from 9-10 am in our lobby. This is free and open to the public. Learn the basics of CPR and be prepared to save a life if needed!
- Sweat with your Sweetie Week! February 10-16th, members may bring their non-member sweeties to any Group Exercise classes (reformer Pilates & master swim excluded) for FREE! Be sure to check them in as a guest at the front desk on the way in!
- HIIT it with Hanna begins on Friday, February 15th! Morning people looking for a quick pre-weekend morning workout on Friday mornings are welcome to join us in the group exercise studio from 6:30-7:15am. A combo of HIIT & Plyo drills, this class is not for the faint of heart and is designed to be an intense way to end your work-week!
Whatever you do, we hope you’ll use American Heart Month as a reminder to take care of your ticker, and to take preventative measures now, so you can live a long, active, and healthy life!